As people become more environmentally conscious, they are looking for ways to reduce their waste and carbon footprint. One area where waste reduction is gaining popularity is in personal care products, including sunscreen. Zero waste sunscreen is a type of sunscreen that is designed to minimize waste and reduce the impact on the environment.
Zero waste sunscreen is made with natural ingredients and packaged in sustainable materials. It is also free from harmful chemicals that can damage the environment and marine life. In addition to being better for the environment, zero waste sunscreen is also better for the skin. It is gentle and nourishing, and it doesn’t leave a greasy residue.
There are many different types of zero waste sunscreen available on the market, including creams, lotions, and sprays. Some are designed for the face, while others are designed for the body. When choosing a zero waste sunscreen, it is important to look for products that are certified natural and reef safe. It is also important to choose a product that is water-resistant and has a high SPF to protect the skin from the sun’s harmful rays.
What is Zero Waste Suncream?
Zero waste suncream is a type of sunscreen that aims to minimize or eliminate waste, both from packaging and any harmful chemicals it may contain. The goal is to provide a more environmentally friendly and sustainable alternative to traditional sunscreens.
Zero waste suncream typically comes in recyclable or reusable packaging, such as glass or metal containers, instead of plastic. Additionally, the ingredients used in zero waste suncream are often natural and biodegradable, avoiding the use of harmful chemicals that can harm both the environment and human health.
Some zero waste suncream brands even go a step further by using sustainable and ethical practices in their production process, such as using renewable energy or supporting fair trade initiatives.
Choosing zero waste suncream not only helps reduce waste and protect the environment, but it can also be beneficial for the health of your skin. Traditional sunscreens often contain chemicals that can be harmful to the skin and body, such as oxybenzone and octinoxate. By choosing a natural and biodegradable option, you can avoid these potentially harmful chemicals and protect your skin in a more sustainable way.
Why Use Zero Waste Suncream?
There are several reasons why using zero waste suncream is a better choice for both the environment and your skin:
- Reduced plastic waste: Traditional suncreams often come in plastic bottles, which contribute to the growing problem of plastic pollution. Zero waste suncreams, on the other hand, are packaged in recyclable, biodegradable, or reusable containers, reducing the amount of plastic waste that ends up in landfills or the ocean.
- Less harmful chemicals: Many conventional suncreams contain harmful chemicals such as oxybenzone and octinoxate, which have been linked to coral reef damage and hormone disruption. Zero waste suncreams typically use natural, organic, and non-toxic ingredients such as zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, which are safe for both your skin and the environment.
- Healthier for your skin: Zero waste suncreams are often made with natural and organic ingredients that are gentler on your skin, reducing the risk of irritation, allergies, or other adverse reactions. They also provide protection against harmful UV rays without clogging your pores or leaving a greasy residue.
- Support for sustainable businesses: By choosing zero waste suncreams, you are supporting small businesses that prioritize sustainability, ethical sourcing, and fair labor practices. These businesses often have a smaller carbon footprint and use eco-friendly production methods, contributing to a more sustainable and equitable economy.
Overall, using zero waste suncream is a simple yet effective way to reduce your environmental impact, protect your skin, and support sustainable businesses. By making this small switch, you can make a big difference in creating a healthier and more sustainable world.
Benefits of Using Zero Waste Suncream
Using zero waste suncream not only protects your skin from harmful UV rays, but it also has many environmental benefits. Here are some of the benefits of using zero waste suncream:
- Reduced plastic waste: Conventional sunscreens come in plastic bottles that contribute to the plastic pollution crisis. By using zero waste suncream, you can significantly reduce your plastic waste.
- Safe for marine life: Many conventional sunscreens contain chemicals that are harmful to marine life and can contribute to coral bleaching. Zero waste suncreams are typically made with natural and biodegradable ingredients that are safe for marine life.
- Non-toxic: Zero waste suncreams are often made with natural and organic ingredients, which means they are free from harmful chemicals such as oxybenzone and octinoxate, which have been linked to hormone disruption and other health issues.
- Cruelty-free: Many zero waste suncreams are also cruelty-free and vegan, meaning they are not tested on animals and do not contain any animal-derived ingredients.
By choosing zero waste suncream, you can protect your skin while also making a positive impact on the environment and animal welfare.
How to Choose the Right Zero Waste Suncream
Choosing the right zero waste suncream can be a daunting task, but it is an important decision to make. Here are a few things to consider when selecting a zero waste suncream that works for you:
- SPF: Sun Protection Factor (SPF) is a measure of how much UVB radiation a sunscreen can filter out. It is recommended to use a sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30.
- Ingredients: Look for a sunscreen that uses natural, organic ingredients. Avoid sunscreens that contain harmful chemicals like oxybenzone, octinoxate, and homosalate.
- Water Resistance: If you plan to be in the water or sweating, make sure to choose a water-resistant sunscreen.
- Application: Consider the application method that works best for you. Some sunscreens come in spray form, while others are in cream or stick form.
- Packaging: Look for sunscreens that come in recyclable or compostable packaging. Avoid sunscreens that come in plastic packaging.
When selecting a zero waste suncream, it is important to read the label carefully and do your research to ensure that it meets your needs and preferences. Remember to apply sunscreen generously and frequently to protect your skin from the harmful effects of the sun.
DIY Zero Waste Suncream Recipes
For those who want to reduce their waste and avoid harmful chemicals in their sunscreens, making DIY zero waste suncream is a great option. Here are some simple recipes that you can try at home:
|1/2 cup almond oil (or olive oil)||Melt 1/4 cup beeswax and 2 tbsp (27g) shea butter in a double broiler. Add the oil and stir well. Remove from heat and add 2 tbsp non-nano zinc oxide powder and 1 tsp vitamin E oil. Mix well and pour into a container.|
|1/4 cup coconut oil||Melt 1/4 cup beeswax and 2 tbsp (27g) shea butter in a double broiler. Add the oil and stir well. Remove from heat and add 2 tbsp non-nano zinc oxide powder and 1 tsp vitamin E oil. Mix well and pour into a container.|
|2 tbsp (27g) shea butter||Melt 1/4 cup beeswax and 2 tbsp (27g) shea butter in a double broiler. Add 1/2 cup almond oil (or olive oil) and 1/4 cup coconut oil. Stir well. Remove from heat and add 2 tbsp non-nano zinc oxide powder and 1 tsp vitamin E oil. Mix well and pour into a container.|
It’s important to note that these sunscreens may not have the same level of SPF protection as commercial sunscreens. It’s recommended to test the sunscreen on a small area of skin before using it all over the body and to reapply frequently.
Additionally, it’s important to properly dispose of any leftover ingredients or packaging in an environmentally friendly way, such as recycling or composting.
Overall, making DIY zero waste suncream is a great way to reduce waste and avoid harmful chemicals in commercial sunscreens. With just a few simple ingredients, you can create a natural and effective sunscreen that’s better for both you and the environment.
Tips for Using and Storing Zero Waste Suncream
When it comes to using and storing zero waste suncream, there are a few things to keep in mind to ensure that it remains effective and safe for use. Here are some tips:
- Apply suncream generously and evenly on all exposed skin at least 15 minutes before going outside.
- Reapply suncream every 2 hours, or more frequently if swimming, sweating, or towel drying.
- Store suncream in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight and heat to prevent it from spoiling or losing effectiveness.
- Check the expiration date of the suncream before using it to ensure that it is still safe and effective.
- If using suncream in a metal tin or glass jar, be sure to clean and dry your hands before dipping your fingers into the product to prevent contamination.
- Consider using a suncream applicator to avoid getting suncream on your hands and to ensure even coverage.
It is important to note that while zero waste suncreams are typically made with natural and organic ingredients, they are not immune to causing skin irritation or allergic reactions. If you experience any discomfort or adverse reactions after using a zero waste suncream, discontinue use and consult a healthcare professional.
Overall, following these tips can help ensure that your zero waste suncream remains effective and safe for use while also reducing waste and supporting sustainable practices.
Zero waste sunscreens are a great way to protect your skin from harmful UV rays while also reducing your environmental impact. With the increasing awareness of the negative effects of traditional sunscreens on marine life and the environment, more and more people are turning to zero waste options.
When choosing a zero waste sunscreen, it’s important to look for products that are water-resistant, reef-safe, and made from certified natural ingredients. Many zero waste sunscreens come in plastic-free packaging, such as recyclable glass containers or metal tins, making them a great option for those looking to reduce their plastic waste.
Some of the best zero waste sunscreens on the market include Soul & Soap’s Sun Balm, ATTITUDE – Plastic Free Mineral Sunscreen Stick, and EmpireSquid’s Facial, Zinc Oxide, and Red Raspberry sunscreens. These products are all vegan, cruelty-free, and contain non-toxic, reef-safe ingredients.
It’s also worth noting that while zero waste sunscreens are a great option for reducing your environmental impact, they may not be suitable for everyone. Those with sensitive skin or a history of skin cancer should consult with a dermatologist to determine the best sunscreen for their individual needs.
Overall, zero waste sunscreens are a great way to protect your skin and the environment. By choosing a product that is water-resistant, reef-safe, and made from natural ingredients, you can enjoy the sun without harming the planet.
Larissa is the author of this blog and a vegan, digital nomad, and fully devoted to sustainability and zero-waste lifestyle.
I love to share my passions with others, so if you have any questions about what I do or just want to exchange experiences, feel free to message me!